Monday, November 30, 2009

What risks are faced flying a cat as cargo? Could you share your experiences?

I will flying an airline that only permits pets to be flown as cargo. My gravest fear is the death of my beloved cat while in flight. He has flown in cabin before(12 hours), but not cargo. The flight ahead is about the same duration. Please share your advice or experiences in this situation. Thank you on advance!What risks are faced flying a cat as cargo? Could you share your experiences?
You didn't say what airline you will be flying. I have always flown with my two on Continental. They have special pressurized temperature controlled cargo areas for animals. The crate has to be large enough for kitty to stand and turn around in. It has to have the cup clipped on the inside, one for food and one for water. Airlines will not accept kitty if she has been sedated so don't do that. I always include a towel in the crates for kitty to curl up on. Since the fight is a 12 hour flight you may want to get a crate large enough to include a small litter box and I would use shredded newspaper instead of regular litter.


My two were not happy with me at all, but they did make it through their flights.


The pilots are told there are animals on the flight so before they close the cabin door ask the flight attendant to let you know kitty made it on ok.


Good luck with everything.What risks are faced flying a cat as cargo? Could you share your experiences?
Check on what other animals will be in the cargo hold at the same time. I know we had to move our dogs to another flight because there was a cat on the flight that they were on. It just stresses them up.


On the other hand, you might be best sedating your cat - check with someone who deals officially with transporting vehicles
I know it's irrelevant but your question made my mind boggle - ';flying a cat';. I didn't know they had wings! Sorry just my daft sense of humour!


Good luck, I'm sure Pussy will be fine in Cargo, it's not as if the airline don't know how to convey animals by air.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
credot siosse